Update:This program is now closed. We are no longer accepting new “phones for apps” proposals for Apps on a Flame. The form to submit is no longer available. Thanks for all the great apps built or ported for Firefox OS. If you’re still working on an app, we can’t wait to see it live in Firefox Marketplace.
Earlier this week, we introduced Flame, the Firefox OS reference device for developers, testers and reviewers from T2Mobile, and announced the opening of the everbuying.com pre-order page. The Flame retails at $170 (USD), global shipping included.
Wanted: Engaging apps for Firefox OS
If you are an experienced HTML5 app developer with a published, well-rated app that you’d like to port to Firefox OS, we’d love to hear from you! It’s always exciting to discover topnotch apps (such as PhoneGap app Find the Movie, pictured to the right running on a Flame) and see them ported from native platforms to Firefox OS. We currently have a small inventory of Flame phones for qualified HTML5 app developers with published, well-rated apps.
How to qualify
Through our ongoing Phones for Apps program, there’s an opportunity now for a limited number of invited app developers to receive Flame devices in exchange for a commitment to port their qualifying HTML5 apps within a month of receiving the device. Please apply here.
There are only three ways to qualify:
- You’ve built a successful, well-rated HTML5 app on another platform (such as Amazon Web Apps, Blackberry WebWorks, Chrome Web Store, WebOS, Windows Phone or the PhoneGap store) and are ready to port it now to Firefox OS.
- You’ve built a successful, well-rated native app for iOS or Android using a cross-platform wrapper like Cordova or PhoneGap and are ready to port it to Firefox OS. Be sure to indicate the cross-platform tool you used.
- You’ve already published a well-rated app in Firefox Marketplace, and you have a second app in progress or already built, and are ready to port it now to Firefox OS.
- Learn more about the Flame (Mozilla Developer Network)
- Get started with Open Web Apps (Mozilla Developer Network)
- Mark your calendars for Marketplace Day, June 26 – it’s all about Apps and how you can contribute – as app developers, testers, reviewers and localizers. Hope you can join us!
About Havi Hoffman
Content wrangler & cat herder on the Developer Relations team. Also Mozilla Hacks blog editor and Mozilla Tech Speakers program co-founder.