About 6 weeks ago, we wrote about the preview of Firefox OS Simulator 3.0 and now we’re happy to release it!
In our preview coverage, we listed the new features for this version:
- Push to Device
- Rotation simulation
- Basic geolocation API simulation
- Manifest validation
- Stability fixes for installation and updates to apps
- Newer versions of the Firefox rendering engine and Gaia (the UI for Firefox OS)
Since then, apart from verifying and making the above functionality stable, other notable improvements are:
- Keyboard shortcut to repackage/reinstall/restart the current app – drastically improving workflow speed, especially for packaged apps
- Significantly reduced download/installation size of the Firefox OS Simulator
- Faster start time (partly due to above with smaller size)
- Much newer versions of Firefox OS and Gaia
- General bug fixes, making it more functional and reliable
- OS-standard ways in the menu to close the Simulator, with corresponding keyboard shortcuts (Alt + F4 on Windows, Cmd + Q on Mac, Ctrl + Q on Linux)
Firefox OS Simulator documentation
As part of this release, we’d also like to highlight our updated Firefox OS Simulator documentation on MDN and also our Firefox OS Simulator walkthrough example.
Download/install the Firefox OS Simulator
You can download version 3.0 of the Firefox OS Simulator from our add-ons web site.
Please let us know what you think in the comments! If you encounter any bugs or problems, please file a bug.
About Robert Nyman [Editor emeritus]