This post got stuck in Drafts without getting published. Publishing now for the record.
Tristan Nitot wrote a blog post describing how MDN does documentation the Mozilla way. It also gives a good summary of ways that you can help out.
Plans are proceeding for the next MDN documentation sprint, April 27 to 29. The first day (Friday) will be the Mozilla office in Mountain View, California, and the weekend days will be in the San Francisco office. If you’re in the San Francisco Bay Area, and you’d like to join us on any of those days, you’re definitely welcome. Just contact me to let me know. If you’re located elsewhere, you’re welcome to join us remotely.
Work is proceeding apace on Kuma, the new wiki platform that our splendid WebDev team is creating for MDN. We will be holding a test day on Friday, April 20, to bang on it on a staging server. If you’re a regular writer, editor, or localizer on MDN, we’d appreciate your help. Details about that event are forthcoming.
Here is a sampling of doc changes that have been made in the past couple of weeks.
Web standards docs
- Brian Brennan did lots of clean-up and formatting in the CSS Reference.
- Drublic expanded and improved window.setImmediate.
- Patrick Kettner added a compatibility table and info to <wbr>.
- Mykura added a constructor section and a section on the history of slice() implementations to Blob and updated and improved XMLHttpRequest.
- Masayuki Nakano added a table showing how to activate ‘accesskey’ on various browsers to HTML global attributes.
- Andreas Nilsson added a browser compatibility table to Date toLocaleString.
- Jérémie Patonnier created pages for the SVG attributes filterUnits and primitiveUnits.
- Jean-Yves Perrier expanded ::first-line, added information about language-specific cases to text-transform, and added browser compatibility and language-specific cases to font-variant.
- Nickolay Ponomarev reorganized the spec information in the DOM event reference and updated and improved HTMLMediaElement.
- Florian Scholz created pages for ::-moz-page, ::-moz-page-sequence, and ::-moz-scrolled-page-sequence; updated MathML maction; and added a browser compatibility table and spec link to window.navigator.vibrate and MathML merror.
- Rob W expanded and added a spec link to Using Web workers.
Mozilla technology docs
- Archeopteryx added a reference page for the browser.altClickSave preference.
- Will Bamberg created an FAQ page for BrowserID.
- David Bienvenu wrote an article on Thunderbird file link providers.
- Darktrojan updated code snippets for preferences.
- Benoit Girard added a screenshot to Profiling with the built-in profiler.
Mozilla project docs
- Joey Armstrong updated Coding style in the Developer Guide.
- Jeff Beatty created a page about Localization technical reviews.
- Anthony Hughes added a section on transplanting a patch to Mozmill tests.
- Josh Matthews updated How to submit a patch.