We’re aware of the problem on MDN in which error messages appear in place of code examples (and a few other places). This is due to a bug in the wiki platform software that causes some of its extensions to fail to load when a server restarts. The problem has been diagnosed by the vendor, and we are awaiting a patch to fix it. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience!
The year 2012 is off to a great start for the MDN documentation and its community. This past weekend, a bunch of community members gathered virtually for a documentation sprint to write, update, and translate docs. But already in the preceding weeks, a great deal of work had already been accomplished. This post is a recap of those efforts.
Doc sprint results
- Onur Avsar filled in lots of missing information in HTTP response codes, and improved <time> and <frame>.
- Michael Beckwith improved and updated the HTML5 & friends thematic classification, Common CSS questions, and Tips for authoring fast-loading HTML pages.
- Hans Hillen created pages for ARIA guides, ARIA techniques, ARIA technique template and the specific technique Using the alert role.
- Jeremie Patonnier improved SVG Content type and fill-rule and created pages for 7 SVG attributes.
- Rajeev Bharshetty added code examples for embedding audio in Using HTML5 audio and video, for SVG elements text, title, and g and SVG attributes class, script, r, cy, cx, and points.
- Fred Bourgeon restructured and improved CSS opacity and translated a bunch of CSS property pages into French.
- Corey Gackenheimer added browser compatibility and an example to DeviceOrientationEvent, and moved some obsolete information from Detecting device orentation to MozOrientation.
- Trevor Hobson added the isURIVisited method to mozIAsyncHistory.
- Burak Yiğit Kaya cleaned up the pages for the instanceof operator, the bind function, window.setTimeout, and element.addEventListener.
- Filipus Klutiero clarified the difference between form.submit and a form submit button.
- Jeremie Patonnier created pages for 5 more SVG attributes and
SVGCursorElement, and updated the SVG IRI content type.
- Jonathan Protzenko revamped the Thunderbird extensions page.
- Colby Russell wrote an article on DOM Inspector internals.
- Florian Scholz documented two more MathML elements (mlabeledtr and mglyph, created pages for the Battery API and CSS column-fill property, documented the
loopproperties of HTMLMediaElement, and added Gecko-specific properties to HTMLVideoElement.
- Tom Schuster started a page for ECMAScript 6 in Mozilla and added window.crypto.getRandomValues.
- Andreas Wagner documented and wrote exmaple code for a demo add-on for Thunderbird, and created pages for nsIMsgAccount and nsIMsgIncomingServer.
- Patrick Wied created a page for SVG contentStyleType, added examples to HTMLSelectElement and SVG style attribute, and fixed up links in several pages for SVG-related DOM interfaces.
- Jonathan Wilsson added or updated browser compatibility for 3 HTML elements, 2 DOM elements, and 42 CSS properties and pseudo-classes. He also added content to :focus and :enabled.
Here are some of the significant changes in the weeks prior to the doc sprint.
Web standards docs
- Eric Bidelman added mobile browser compatibility info for document.querySelectorAll and document.querySelector.
- Fred Bourgeon continued what he started during Mercredi Doc by creating French translations for 9 CSS animation-related properties and two SVG attributes.
- Mattias Ekendahl created a page for cssMediaRule.
- Corey Gackenheimer added a browser compatibility table to DeviceOrientationEvent.
- Masayuki created pages for DOM input event and UIEvent, and edited a bunch of pages related to DOM events.
- Timothée Carry-Caignon added some notes to <button> (update 2012-01-24:) and translated Writing forward-compatible websites into French.
- Nickolay Ponomarev updated and improved the pages for DOM document and XMLHttpRequest.
- Florian Scholz updated CanvasRenderingContext2D and added WebKit- and Gecko-specific methods and attributes.
- Rob W added an example to Node.normalize.
- Toji added several new resources to the WebGL page.
- XP1 fixed a bunch of copyediting and style consistency issues in a whole slew of pages.
Mozilla technology docs
- Will Bamberg created a landing page and various articles for BrowserID.
- Axel Grude created pages for two dozen messaging-related XPCOM interfaces.
- Benjamin Smedberg wrote an article on Making cross-thread calls using runnables in XPCOM.
Mozilla project docs
- Jeff Beatty‘s work on the Localization Quick Start Guide is “done” — no longer marked as a draft.
- Mark Côté updated Mozilla automated testing to match current practices.
- Jeff Muizelaar wrote an article on Debugging update problems.
- Jonathan Watt updated Debugging on Mac OS X, added an Installation section to Eclipse , and signficantly updated and rewrote Eclipse CDT and Using NetBeans with Mozilla.
- Jared Wein wrote articles on Getting started with contributing patches to the Firefox preferences and Requesting feedback and ui-review for desktop Firefox front-end changes.
About Janet Swisher
Janet is the Community Lead and Project Manager for MDN Web Docs. She joined Mozilla in 2010, and has been involved in open source software since 2004 and in technical communication since the 20th century. She lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and a standard poodle.