We’re aware of the problem on MDN in which error messages appear in place of code examples (and a few other places). This is due to a bug in the wiki platform software that causes some of its extensions to fail to load when a server restarts. The problem has been diagnosed by the vendor, and we are awaiting a patch to fix it. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience!
The year 2012 is off to a great start for the MDN documentation and its community. This past weekend, a bunch of community members gathered virtually for a documentation sprint to write, update, and translate docs. But already in the preceding weeks, a great deal of work had already been accomplished. This post is a recap of those efforts.
Doc sprint results
- Onur Avsar filled in lots of missing information in HTTP response codes, and improved <time> and <frame>.
- Michael Beckwith improved and updated the HTML5 & friends thematic classification, Common CSS questions, and Tips for authoring fast-loading HTML pages.
- Hans Hillen created pages for ARIA guides, ARIA techniques, ARIA technique template and the specific technique Using the alert role.
- Jeremie Patonnier improved SVG Content type and fill-rule and created pages for 7 SVG attributes.
- Rajeev Bharshetty added code examples for embedding audio in Using HTML5 audio and video, for SVG elements text, title, and g and SVG attributes class, script, r, cy, cx, and points.
- Fred Bourgeon restructured and improved CSS opacity and translated a bunch of CSS property pages into French.
- Corey Gackenheimer added browser compatibility and an example to DeviceOrientationEvent, and moved some obsolete information from Detecting device orentation to MozOrientation.
- Trevor Hobson added the isURIVisited method to mozIAsyncHistory.
- Burak Yiğit Kaya cleaned up the pages for the instanceof operator, the bind function, window.setTimeout, and element.addEventListener.
- Filipus Klutiero clarified the difference between form.submit and a form submit button.
- Jeremie Patonnier created pages for 5 more SVG attributes and
SVGCursorElement, and updated the SVG IRI content type.
- Jonathan Protzenko revamped the Thunderbird extensions page.
- Colby Russell wrote an article on DOM Inspector internals.
- Florian Scholz documented two more MathML elements (mlabeledtr and mglyph, created pages for the Battery API and CSS column-fill property, documented the
loopproperties of HTMLMediaElement, and added Gecko-specific properties to HTMLVideoElement.
- Tom Schuster started a page for ECMAScript 6 in Mozilla and added window.crypto.getRandomValues.
- Andreas Wagner documented and wrote exmaple code for a demo add-on for Thunderbird, and created pages for nsIMsgAccount and nsIMsgIncomingServer.
- Patrick Wied created a page for SVG contentStyleType, added examples to HTMLSelectElement and SVG style attribute, and fixed up links in several pages for SVG-related DOM interfaces.
- Jonathan Wilsson added or updated browser compatibility for 3 HTML elements, 2 DOM elements, and 42 CSS properties and pseudo-classes. He also added content to :focus and :enabled.
Here are some of the significant changes in the weeks prior to the doc sprint.
Web standards docs
- Eric Bidelman added mobile browser compatibility info for document.querySelectorAll and document.querySelector.
- Fred Bourgeon continued what he started during Mercredi Doc by creating French translations for 9 CSS animation-related properties and two SVG attributes.
- Mattias Ekendahl created a page for cssMediaRule.
- Corey Gackenheimer added a browser compatibility table to DeviceOrientationEvent.
- Masayuki created pages for DOM input event and UIEvent, and edited a bunch of pages related to DOM events.
- Timothée Carry-Caignon added some notes to <button> (update 2012-01-24:) and translated Writing forward-compatible websites into French.
- Nickolay Ponomarev updated and improved the pages for DOM document and XMLHttpRequest.
- Florian Scholz updated CanvasRenderingContext2D and added WebKit- and Gecko-specific methods and attributes.
- Rob W added an example to Node.normalize.
- Toji added several new resources to the WebGL page.
- XP1 fixed a bunch of copyediting and style consistency issues in a whole slew of pages.
Mozilla technology docs
- Will Bamberg created a landing page and various articles for BrowserID.
- Axel Grude created pages for two dozen messaging-related XPCOM interfaces.
- Benjamin Smedberg wrote an article on Making cross-thread calls using runnables in XPCOM.
Mozilla project docs
- Jeff Beatty‘s work on the Localization Quick Start Guide is “done” — no longer marked as a draft.
- Mark Côté updated Mozilla automated testing to match current practices.
- Jeff Muizelaar wrote an article on Debugging update problems.
- Jonathan Watt updated Debugging on Mac OS X, added an Installation section to Eclipse , and signficantly updated and rewrote Eclipse CDT and Using NetBeans with Mozilla.
- Jared Wein wrote articles on Getting started with contributing patches to the Firefox preferences and Requesting feedback and ui-review for desktop Firefox front-end changes.