What, when, where
View Source is a brand new conference for web developers, presented by Mozilla and friends, produced by the folks who also bring you the Mozilla Developer Network, to share knowledge of the Open Web. It’s a single track event with plenty of time and space for discussion, demos, and hallway conversations. Talks will be pragmatic and inspiring, focused on topics relevant to front-end developers and people who design and build web sites and web apps.
View Source happens in Portland, Oregon, November 2-4, beginning with Ignite lightning talks on Monday evening, followed by two full days of great presenters, curated conversations, and sociable evenings. Learn best practices and new tools for creating powerful apps and websites “using modern techniques that work today and will thrive tomorrow.”
Thanks to the generosity of our awesome friends and sponsors, we’ve been able to reduce the ticket price for View Source (and refund all current ticket-holders)!
Here’s a quick look at our lineup of presenters — 16 great reasons to go! We’d love to meet you there. Don’t forget to use that MOZHACKS25 discount code for 25% off the ridiculously reasonable ticket price of $250. And if you live in the Portland area and want to lend a hand, you can volunteer for roughly half a day, and attend the full conference the rest of the time. And if you’ve got an Ignite talk proposal up your sleeve, we’d love to hear from you!
Myles Borins – is a “musician, artist, developer and inventor. Hacks on @nodejs for @ibm.”
- View Source talk: Signal processing, perceptual audio, and the web audio api
- Github: https://github.com/thealphanerd
- Video – CascadiaFest 2015: It’s not me it’s you: on the fallibility of large systems
- Video – JSConf US: Would a sample at any other rate sound as sweet? An introduction to how our brains interpret sound
Josh Carpenter – Mozilla VR Team Lead. “Our goal is to help bring high performance virtual reality to the open web.”
- View Source talk: Building a Virtual Reality Web Experience
- Github: https://github.com/jcarpenter
- Website: MozVR
- Podcast: The Web Ahead: Reinventing the Web in Virtual Reality with Josh Carpenter and Vladimir Vukicevic
- View Source talk: The Web Today
- Github: https://github.com/ftrain
- Recent article: What is code?
- Medium: Paul Ford (1974– ) Writer, editor, programmer.
- Video – – XOXO Festival (2014): Ftrain
Lyza Danger Gardner – Cloud Four co-founder & dev: I help make and share the mobile web. Co-author of Head First Mobile Web (O’Reilly).
- View Source talk: The Triumph of Generalism
- Github: https://github.com/lyzadanger
- Website: Lyza.com
- Articles: from A List Apart.
Stephanie Hobson – “I like to make websites everyone can use.”
- View Source talk: Web Accessibility: Making Websites Better for Everyone
- Github: https://github.com/stephaniehobson
- Website: Abstract Sequential
Kate Hudson – Senior engineer at Mozilla. 6 ft awesome. Once fused a kettle to a glass top stove.
- View Source talk: Advanced front-end automation with npm scripts
- Github: https://github.com/k88hudson
- Website k88hudson
- Video – JSConf US 2015: Beyond Responsive: Building a mobile web you’re f*ing proud of
Josh Marinacci – coder, author, and all round client side wonk.
- View Source discussion: Realtime Messaging
- Github: https://github.com/joshmarinacci/
- Website: Josh On Design
Rachel Nabors – Web animation ambassador. Training, speaking, consulting, projects. http://webanimationweekly.com Made comics. Won awards. Working to be worthy of the good I’ve got.
- View Source talk: State of the animation 2015
- Github: https://github.com/rachelnabors
- Website: Rachel Nabors
- CodePen: Rachel Nabors CodePen
- View Source talk: What writing games and graphics code can teach us about web app development
- Github: https://github.com/jsoverson
- Website: JarrodOverson.com
- Video – Modern Web UI: Interactive ES2015/ES6: Real World Patterns in 2015
Inayaili de León Persson – Lead Web Designer at @Canonical. Love naps.
- View Source talk: Realistic responsive design
- Github: https://github.com/yaili
- Website Yaili.com
- Canonical: Inayaili de León Persson
Sara Soueidan – (Freelance) Front-End Developer, Writer & Speaker • Author of the @Codrops #CSS Reference • #SVG advocate.
- View Source talk: SVG For Web Designers (and Developers)
- Github: https://github.com/sarasoueidan
- Website: Sara Soueidan
- Video: Building Better Interfaces With SVG (CSSConf Australia)
Lea Verou – HCI researcher @MIT_CSAIL, @CSSWG IE, @CSSSecretsBook author, Ex @W3C staff. Made @prismjs @dabblet @prefixfree. I ♥ standards, code, design, UX, life!
- View Source talk: The Missing Slice
- Github: https://github.com/leaverou
- Website: Lea Verou
- Article: Designing Flexible Pie Charts With CSS and SVG
- View Source discussion: Web Assembly
- Github: https://github.com/lukewagner
- Website: Luke Wagner’s Blog
Tom Wesselman – Director of Communications Ecosystem Architecture, Plantronics.
- View Source talk: Web Apps, IoT, and Wearable Tech: connecting the dots
- Github: https://github.com/twesselman
Allen Wirfs-Brock – Dreaming and building the future of software; Project Editor of the ECMAScript 2015 Language Specification; Reformed Smalltalker.
- View Source talk: ECMAScript 2015: Why It Took So Long
- Github: https://github.com/allenwb
- Website: Allen Wirfs-Brock
Albert Yu – “I see how system breaks.”
- View Source talk: Web Security Made Easy
- Github: https://github.com/yukinying
Many, many thanks!
Our stellar speaker lineup and wonderfully affordable tickets would not be possible without the generous support of our sponsors. Huge thanks to Yahoo!, Intel, jQuery Foundation, Plantronics, and Knowbility! See you all in Portland, at the Armory.
About Havi Hoffman
Content wrangler & cat herder on the Developer Relations team. Also Mozilla Hacks blog editor and Mozilla Tech Speakers program co-founder.