We have just released Aurora 13, together with a number of improvements.
There are a couple of things we’d like to shine some extra light on here:
SPDY on by default
The SPDY control brings responsive and scalable transport to Firefox. It allows for multiplexing and connection sharing and is SSL only. It will offer faster page loads and better scalability for SPDY-enabled web servers.
Our first implementation was in Firefox 11, but now with Firefox Aurora 13 it is on by default!
User Agent change for Mobile
The preferred way for web sites to offer content depending on the device is to use CSS Media Queries. However, there is a good amount of user agent sniffing still going on out there, so we wanted to make you aware of the change/difference between Firefox on mobile phones and on tablets, as outlined in Mobile and Tablet indicators.
For Firefox on mobile it will be:
Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Mobile; rv:13.0) Gecko/13.0 Firefox/13.0
Firefox on tablets will be:
Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Tablet; rv:13.0) Gecko/13.0 Firefox/13.0
List of improvements
Here are all the improvements we’ve made complete with links to each bug listing for those who want to read up more on respective implementation.
- Move plugins to content – plugins should withstand a reframe of the object frame
- Enable multitouch, for Android
- Screen orientation API reading and event implementation in Android
- Unprefix Blob.mozSlice
- Implement DOMRequest
- Implement index property on <option> in <datalist>
- Remove support for globalStorage
- Support “turn” unit from CSS3 Values and Units
- [css3-background] Accept background-position values like “bottom 10px right 10px”
- Drop support for prefixes from border-radius* and box-shadow
- Implement background-repeat as a keyword pair as well as just a single keyword
- Expose alternative content in Canvas element to ATs
- UA Change for Mobile
- SPDY on by default
- XHR rewrites non-POST methods upon 301/302 redirects
- XHR for data URIs should support content-type header field