The latest Firefox 4 Beta has just been released. Here is a quick overview of the new features for web developers.
- Hardware acceleration for Windows Vista/7 (via Direct2D) has been activated. Demo and explanations are in a previous post (see screencast below).
- The Audio Data API is now available. See David’s blog post (see screencast below) and try the audio demo (better if WebGL activated).
- Firefox 3.6.9 and Firefox 4 will support
X-FRAME-OPTIONS(a HTTP header to declare the web page as non-embeddable in an iframe). Read the details.
- You can use another HTTP header,
Strict-Transport-Security, to force your website to use HTTPS. I’ve talked about this feature before.
- We now allow calling
input type="file"(from a user action, like a click on another button). See the related Bugzilla ticket.
- We also significantly improved our support of HTML5 WebForms: more inputs types (email, url, tel, search) new attributes (placeholder, autofocus), decoupled forms and different validation mechanisms. Details coming soon.
David’s Audio API demo:
(try the audio demo )
Myself about Hardware acceleration:
(try the hardware acceleration demo )